This year’s NHRV Staff Contest has now officially started! We’re looking for two new staff members to help us with writing anime and live action reviews and/or contributing to the Behind The Nihon Review blog. Applications will be open until Friday, 16 May, so if you’ve ever contemplated joining the NHRV staff, submit yours today! It will be the best opportunity you’ll have to get on board for the foreseeable future.
What type of person are we looking for?
- Insightful writers. We’re looking for people with a keen interest and knowledge of anime and/or Japanese media who are enthusiastic and confident about their opinions, and are able to back them up with reasoned, sensible criticism. We’re also looking for people who like to scratch at the surface of the titles they watch.
- Distinctive writers. You need not agree with everything we write. We’re not trying to be a hive-mind here, we’re looking to provide a diversity of opinions. We want writers who are opinionated, but also considered and fair.
- Competent writers. Writing ability is important, and while it’s advantageous to be a competent writer, we’re also looking for people who recognize the deficiencies in their own writing, and are willing to listen to advice, learn from mistakes and improve their skills.
Reasons to join us.
- Culture. The Nihon Review is an ever growing review site with a long tradition of writing reviews and editorials that are insightful, analytical and fair. Our site and blog are dedicated to sharing our insights on anime, Japanese film and television and otaku culture, and to developing understanding of these fields, both among our readers and our writers.
- Team support. Being part of a friendly team, you’ll constantly have people around who are able to help you out every step of the way, from the writing itself, to the editing and fine-tuning, and promoting your publications. You’ll also have the opportunity to actively take part in discussions and interact with many writers who share a love for the medium, as well as access to Anime Instrumentality Blog at any time of your choosing. There will also be minimal in the way of “set up”.
- An existing readership. You’ll be writing to a moderate yet growing readership that is highly passionate about anime just like you are. In addition, the demands aren’t high. If you can contribute an average of 4-6 reviews and/or articles each season, that’s ideal.
Why we’re recruiting.
We’re interested in rounding out our staff after additions from last year, especially if newer members can contribute a perspective different from the normal topics we cover. For example, we may have strong coverage of issues in fandom or the plot behind specific series, we’re always glad to have addition writers who have a strong background in animation technique or the Japanese language that can offer interesting perspectives. We shall use this year’s staff contest to replace some those positions, and to also bring a new start to the website.
How do I apply?
Simply go here and follow the instructions. You may submit a sample review (400-600 words with a ~100 word synopsis) or an article (500-900 words). Your application will be gauged on your sample review/article, your short essay, and your responses to the first two questions. Email your entry to appl…@nihonreview.com. (Solve the reCAPTCHA to get the full address.) Applications will be open until Friday, 16 May, and the results will be announced soon after that. However, keep an eye on your email in the meantime, as we may try and get in contact with you if you’re in contention. Good luck to everyone who enters.